Air Collective Forum

Decathlon mask for CPAP and for medical staff protection

Hi, I’m Bozhana from RESONATOR co-innovation hub and I’ve started working on support to get the Decathon mask for oxygen therapy to be built in Bulgaria.

It is helpful start working on oxygen therapy devices here because they are less complicated to manage by health staff, who will be stretched thin. You can learn more about this from this update.

The mask seems in stock on the decathlon.bg site: [link here]
We also have 2 available for testing, but we will need more.
I will try to get in touch with Decathlon @Nato, I will need your help may be, so that they take the cause more seriously.

We are looking for the CAD files right now, but it might be faster for anyone to try to build it from scratch today.

To move us all forward fastest, please just try it out, and share our progress here every day at least, so we can work faster together.

2 Likes

@nato Heads up, Bozhana just told me she’ll reach out to the 3d Printing Unite group to see if they have the CAD files. ( Support for accessing CAD files for 3D printed replacement parts in hospitals ) You’ll be in cc in case they need an official request to share the file.

2 Likes

We found also one Easybreath schnorcheling mask available for tests so far and we are organising its shipment to our 3D operators @SolidFill

Hope that tomorrow I have news on the prototype…

1 Like

Great! Just a heads-up that I’m hearing that the italian Decathlon model is a CPAP machine, meaning it applies pressure, and what may be needed in Bulgaria is something that doesn’t apply pressure.

What will be useful for sure is the isolating mask, since that protects spreading to medical staff, assuming there is shortage of those. (Still waiting on the numbers for that, so we must proceed as if they’ll be needed.)

So, some mods/simplifctions may be needed. Not sure. We need someone to look more closely and advise.

well, I guess you or @Nato are into the discussion with the medical stuff… I won’t stop the production of the prototype anyway. Waiting for update from your side then…

2 Likes

OK, we’ll collect feedback on it.

Good news // update: Decathlon called me, they will send me an email with their available stock numbers and sizes and they are ready to block the stock for us.
@salim @Nato

2 Likes

hey, hey, the decathlon mask just got received by the 3D printing operator and they are starting assembly of the prototype!

2 Likes

It sounds to me like they do not need the Decathlon oxygen therapy mask, right? Which one of our discussed model is actually NIV? I got lost in terminology.

Yes, sorry, it’s complicated. There are still some factors to work out before it’s clear what we should do. I’ve asked Dr Bankov some more questions and will report back when we have that information. Then we can decide what to do.

1 Like

From my latest exchange with Dr. Bankov:

Sleep apnea mashines are useful for us. Actually they do a ventilation when the patient “forget” to breath. Only the mask costs something like 100-150 USD.

CPAP/BiPAP mashines should be certified but they can be operated by any doctor and in some cases even by the pacient.

In the end, I could also simply ask you: should we order all those masks or not? Will they be useful? :slight_smile:

Yes, if we have idea about what kind of ventilator will blow them

So this is where we stand now. Based on pessimistic projections, we could see as high as 300,000 active transmitters in Bulgaria at the peak, which means 20% would require hospitalization. That would mean 60,000 entering hospitals that are already busy over the period of a week. In this extreme case, these masks will be useful as long as there are sleep apnea or CPAP machines to plug them into.

I assume that we can always 3D print various adapters for different machines as needed.

What we don’t have, as-yet. is an understanding of what types of CPAP / sleep apnea machines are available to Bulgaria, and if they are generally sold with or without the mask component. Is that something someone can look into?

Apparently these masks can be used for protection of the medical staff. I am sending photos of the usage and the type of filter needed.

I don’t know if this is at all valuable here, but I’d bundle this solution with one of these chemicals you put on the inside of your swimming goggles (or spit also works in lack of a more sophisticated alternative). When I’ve used these masks they tend to get very foggy from ones breath, especially if you’re doing something intensively like one might in an ICU.

@Nato, thanks for sharing these. I think we are talking about different things here @salim. The oxygen masks that @Bo_RSNTR and her team are prototyping are type of isolating masks that can be used for protection by medical staff.

There is another possible use which @salim talks about having discussed it with Dr. Bankov - oxygen mask is also one of the elements of CPAP/BiPAP machines alongside the ventillator for airway pressure itself and a hose. This machines can be used for patients who are in not that severe conditions if I am getting this correctly. I will try tomorrow to get in touch with manufacturing producers here in Bulgaria to ask them if they can sell only ventillator + hose (and if there is much price difference for a whole package.)

At last, it is good to underline what Dr. Bankov has told Salim - that these machines need to be certified to be used by medical personnel and DIY would not work in this case.

Thanks,
Petar

Actually, they were originally designed for CPAP. From the introduction on original project’s website:

Doctor Favero shared with us an idea to fix the possible shortage of hospital C-PAP masks for sub-intensive therapy, which is emerging as a concrete problem linked to the spread of Covid-19: it’s the construction of an emergency ventilator mask, realized by adjusting a snorkeling mask already available on the market.

This was also the first indended use in Bulgaria, as the pessimisstic projects show we may have up to 60,000 requiring CPAP at the peak. (Useful parameters - establishing timelines for shortages in our countries)

The use for medical staff that Nato mentioned was a secondary addition. The first I saw of it was his comment above.

I think the protection of medical staff is very useful, and can be a fast win.

I don’t want to lose sight of the CPAP use though, and I’d like that evaluation to proceed urgently, since we urgently need to decide on that in order to secure inventory, or we risk losing that option.

Just to clarify- we are working on the second option @peter.minkov oxygen mask as one of the elements of [CPAP/BiPAP machines] and I am coordinating for another team that uses the masks for the first option too. So, plz, keep me updated on your communication with the manufacturers.

3 Likes

Hi @Bo_RSNTR, @salim, sorry for this late reply - I have been busy all day at work and also went to donate blood as there is now shortage of donors since people tend to stay at home. I tried to contact some of the stores that sell CPAP/BiPAP machines but apparently none of them replied by phone. I have sent them an email and would write back to you as soon as I have one.

I have asked them 3 questions:

Do they sell CPAP/BiPAP machines without oxygen masks and how much would this reduce from the original price?

Since CPAP/BiPAP machines have three elements - the device itself, a hose and the mask I have asked if the hose nozzles are standard ones and if they can send pictures so we know if the end of our Decathlon-originating masks needs to be adjusted?

What is their current stock? Can they rent these devices to hospital for some months until the epidemic is over? What would be the rent price per device per month?

Please do let me know if all these question make sense to you and add something in case I missed it.

Thanks,

P.S. @Nato do we have any idea how much of these machines Bulgarian hospitals currently have at their disposal?

3 Likes

@Petar.Minkov One of the things we are also doing with @Bo_RSNTR is to get in touch with companies selling CPAP machines. We are only at the beginning of contacting them so all the questions you have asked are relevant, but we still don’t know their answers.

As for the number of such ventilators in Bulgarian hospitals I have read stats between 1400 and 2000. I don’t know if they have machines especially for CPAP, as it is just one of the modes that ventilators have. I am expecting to receive info regarding the exact number of ventilators in each hospitals. I’ll share it here whenever I have it.

Thanks for this fast reply, Nato! I will share manufacturers’reply as soon as I have one.

2 Likes